The Forgotten Ones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Addons; A tutorial.

Go down

Addons; A tutorial. Empty Addons; A tutorial.

Post  Cixc Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Addons are third party programs that make WoW into a more manageable environment, for new players, and veterans alike. Here will lay a step by step tutorial to introduce you to the world of addons.

To start, go to an addon web sight. I highly recommend Curse.com

Or more simply, for those who are leveling up, Quest helper. This little tool will remove the need to Wowwiki every part of every quest.

with that said, To begin installation, click the download link.

Next, choose your mirror. I prefer manual install, because I haven't had the time to test out the curse client.

Okay, After you have downloaded the file, find the folder. Don't open it just yet, because it is a zip file.

your going to need to extract(unzip) all files VIA winzip, or other similar program.

Now is the time your going to dig into this folder, as you are going to open it(It will most likely be open if you checked the box to show all files in winzip).

Once open, your going to select all files, and cut or copy them.

Now to get to your WoW game folder. If you have an icon on your desktop, this is easily done by right clicking on your shortcut, and clicking the option "Open File Location". or you can go through My comp, to your hard disk, to your program files, and scrolling down to the World of Warcraft folder.

Once this is open, your going to open up the Interface folder. there will be another folder inside of it called "Addons" open this folder, and paste in the copied or cut files. close your game file folder, and load up WoW.

Once you are logged in, and at your character selection tab, you will notice a red button in the bottom left hand corner, that, yes, Has the word addons on it. This will allow you to turn off an addon if you do not need it active at a particular time, or on a particular character. It also has a check box at the top to use out of date addons.

after every patch, addons go out of date, meaning you will most likely need to go reinstall the addons. but some addons can still be used after a patch the same way they were beforehand. to get the latest info for the patch, you will want to reinstall it, but it is very rare that they change the pre-existing information.

I hope this helped some what, for those new to the game, or addons. Have fun and Good Luck!
Cixc
Cixc
Guild Officer

Back to top Go down